Stronger together, we are 10 Strong

Childhood Cancer

FACTS IMAGE-1All types of childhood cancer combined receive less than 4% of the United States federal funding for cancer research.

Childhood cancer survivors are at significant risk for secondary cancers later in life.

Approximately 20 percent of all children with cancer will die from their disease, a secondary cancer, or complications from treatment.

In the last 20 years, the FDA has approved only three pediatric cancer drugs—Clolar, Erwinaze and Unituxin —that were initially studied in children.

Childhood cancer research is vastly and consistently underfunded.

Childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the U.S.

One in 285 children in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer by the time they are 20 years old.

Every year, an estimated 250,000+ new cases of cancer affect children under the age of 20 worldwide.

Childhood cancer occurs regularly, randomly and spares no ethnic group; socioeconomic class; or geographic region. In the United States, the incidence of cancer among adolescents and young adults is increasing at a greater rate than any other age group, except those over 65 years.

Childhood cancer is not just one disease. It is made up of a dozen types and countless sub-types.

The cause of most childhood cancers are unknown and at present, cannot be prevented. (Most adult cancers result from lifestyle factors such as smoking, diet, occupation, and other exposure to cancer-causing agents).

Funding from large cancer organizations doesn’t help too much; <1% of American Cancer Society TOTAL donations are directed toward childhood cancer research.

Kids don’t vote: 96% of Federal funding for research is for adult cancer, leaving only 4% for childhood cancers; yet children make up 20% of our population

The incidence of childhood cancer has increased about 29% over the last 20 years.

98% of survivors suffer from a chronic health condition by the age of 45, including pulmonary, hearing, cardiac and other problems related to cancer treatment

Children in the richest nation, with the highest standard of living, the greatest world power, the country that went to the moon, have to rely on lemonade and cookie sales and their parents shaving their heads and running marathons to raise money to stop the #1 killer of our children.

 

now you know-1 1

Our children need more options, more research, less toxic treatments……our children need more funding. While the federal government isn’t making our kids a priority, St. Baldricks is a foundation that is. “The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-powered charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long, healthy lives.” They have funded over $178 million dollars in research and is making a difference in every fost bald page-1rm of cancer affecting our children. 10 Strong began fundraising for St. Baldricks in 2013 and has raised $115,000. On April 3, 2016, another class of 10 Strong moms and family members will take the stage at our local St. Baldricks event and shave for our brave children. 10 Strong’s 2016 team goal is to raise $50,000. Donate on our page and help us reach our goal. Share our team page on your social media pages and raise awareness. Join us and help make a difference in childhood cancer research.
st. baldricks 2015

Website Security Test